OK the following hot air post by me is almost useless but I have to make a minor correction to my Jan post on this topic:

The SC-8820, and by extension the Sound Canvas VA (SC-VA) that is the basis of the SC-VA, have ESSENTIALLY the same patch map as my SC-8850, not an IDENTICAL patch map as I stated earlier.

The built-in maps/sounds in the SC-VA, SC-8820, and SC-8850 for the CM64/SC-55/SC-88 & SC-88Pro are what they are - THEY ARE the same in all those units. The delta's are in the Captial tone variations. The "first" tones, Roland calls them "Capital" tones, and MOST of the extended (aka variations) tones on the SC-VA and SC-8820 are the same as the SC-8850. .

The SC-8820 is missing a whopping 32 tones (32 tones LESS than SC-8850) and they are ALL in the tone variations.

2. But more importantly, the SC-8850 uses more voices in some patches (usually stereo as opposed to mono samples in the cases where there are differences). Thus, some sounds are "fuller" or SLIGHTLY more detailed on the 8850 as opposed to SC-VA - with my tinnitus I can not usually even tell the difference.

A short list of some of these sounds that have more voices/samples in SC-8850 vice SC-VA/SC-8820: the FIRST piano and pianos w/strings and Pianos w/choir's; most organs; an attack (dist) guitar; a slap bass; ONE suspense strings; one Strings & Harp; 4 voices (vice 2 in sc-8820) for a LOT of strings and their variations: Strings, Ensemble Strings, Chamber Strings, Choir & Strings, Orch., Velo strings, first Slow Strings; some trumpet, trombone, and other brass variations, etc.

Again download the SC-VA demo (BEFORE PUTTING DOWN MONEY) and do your own audio comparison against the older VSC or TTS-1 or Coyote Forte or whatever.

Larry

EDIT

PS: Folks are welcome to download the SC-8820 (which has same sounds as SC-VA) and SC-8850 manuals and compare sound lists to find sounds with "number of voices" differences and look for those 32 missing capital tone variations

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 08/25/16 10:01 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20