Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Man, ok so here is what I am thinking:

1.) You have a classic rock tune here. Coupled with a great title. Very R.E.M.

2.) In fact, this reminds me of the stuff R.E.M. used to play in Mitch's Easter's garage before they made in big. Just pure, classic, ultra hooky, rootsy, gutsy unadulterated rock. Peter Buck and Mitch would dig it.

3.) I wish you could pull that 12 string maybe to the left a bit and bring it up louder so it comes out in the mix, and move the mandolin to the right and fade it up higher and make it even more prominent when there aren't any vox. (Think Losing My Religion.)

Actually google "Losing My Religion" youtube and carefully listen to and study the mix, it is almost the same except in this case they have guitar right and mandolin left.

Most of the EQ is right except the drums might need to be a bit beefier. Not sure what you have in your EQ rack of VSTs but listen to the drums on Losing My Religion and see if you can get something close to that. I would say spend five hours on the drums and then start fading the other stuff up. smile The vocal is about perfect. It needs to sit right exactly on top.

Your song is just as solid as an R.E.M. tune. It just needs another mix, I think. Great lyrics by the way.

I am only offering these production tips because this is a GREAT song. Otherwise I wouldn't have said anything.

Wish I had written it.

smile

Thanks David,
This is great, I was feeling a very George Harrison vibe in my head but I love R.E.M. and definitely get the Losing My Religion connection. I appreciate the mix tips, will try to apply some as soon as I get the chance, maybe this weekend. I thought the drums could use more punch, I just didn't change much of anything really, kinda keeping the original mix. I'm in love with the Baritone guitar and only so many things can get top billing. I'm so damned deaf that I don't pan hard left and right because it's lost on me. You do have a great ear and I appreciate your input and kind words.
Kenny