Lyric Video:
Audio Only:

Average Mojo

Janice and I have long wanted to do a “swamp blues” style song. Tony Joe White pretty much owns the genre and is still recording amazingly good stuff nearly 50 years after his first big song.

His style is characterized by southern US swampy imagery, minimalist instrumentation, simple chord structures and lots of fuzzy guitar. John Fogerty and others have borrowed heavily from him.

I attempted to write a song in this style and asked PeterF if he’d be willing to join in with his guitar. He agreed and offered up some cool guitar and harmonica tracks that were right in the genre pocket. The project was quite a vocal departure for Janice vocally and even more so after I went with more “grit” in processing her vocal.

Perhaps an obscure genre but we did have a lot fun producing it. And, yes, there is a lot of distortion, tube sims, saturated tape sims, vintage compression sims and a hot mix. Goes with the style!

Janice agreed to me using a photo of her in the intro/outro page of the video. That is a first!

Oh BTW, a "gris gris" is a good luck amulet.

Vocal: Janice - processed with Izotope’s Nectar 2
Drums: RD - Blues Rock Even - processed with Izotope’s Alloy 2
Bass: RT - 572 Bass Blues Even - processed with Izotope’s Alloy 2
Rhythm Guitar/Solo Guitar/Harmonica: Peter - processed with whatever he does grin I put a hint of overdrive amp sim on the harmonica.

Mixed in Logic Pro X and mastered with Izotope’s Ozone 7 Advanced using a host of vintage modules

Many thanks to Peter for both the instrumental work and help with the arrangement.

And as always a shout-out to PG music for enabling all these experiments and collaborations via this forum. This has a minimal number of tracks but the arrangement was all initially worked out in BiaB (with additional RTs).

We remain appreciative of the time that you take to listen and, as always, welcome any comments.

J&B