Very bittersweet Tom. Great sound.

Forgive me, this is long but I want to respond to the responses of your theme.

One of my first summer jobs was working at a record company - indie label on 17th Ave (now known as Music Circle S.) on Music Row. The building is gone and something else is there. I met a lot of dreamers who'd empty their bank account for a shot. And I heard a lot of great music and some were making a living pulling up in the bus. So yeah, it's always been hard.

Years later we were having a picking party at our apartment and it was packed with people including a young guy a friend brought who'd just hit town. We were taking turns around the room - his eyes got big and the color drained from his face so I asked him was he okay. He mumbled something like - EVERYBODY here sings. So yeah, it's always been that way.

But the friend who told me how to write a song when I knew nothing got an album deal on a major label for a pop/rock group. At that time in Nashville it was almost unheard of - you were supposed to go to LA. And the group only had one album but they had a grand time and he loved it. So it's a matter of looking at the glass half empty or half full before we get too sad here.

What I'd say to young people is remember Garth Brooks who broke all country sales records had to make two trips. He went home the first time to regroup and his mama had connections. He came back and found that magic combination of luck and time. 99.9% of people won't find that but they for sure won't if they don't try. It's a lot like sports - not everybody is going to the NFL or going to get a super bowl ring or make the Olympic team. People still try and why not...

I never got the big cut and hit I wanted but I sure enjoyed the ride and every success I did have and all the great people I got to work with and meet over the course of my time involved in it. smile