Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Joe and JJJ, you have to understand this style function of Biab was never designed to give you a style that "matches" any one song.

A musical style is just that, a style.

James Brown is a funky musical style but is it the same as Average White Band? No, but they're both funk styles.

CCR is a rock style but is it the same as Huey Lewis or Deep Purple? No.

When you type in the name of a song all that is is another generic filter. Like Rock Ev 8 is a filter. Or Tex-Mex is a filter. That's it, that's as far as it goes. If you typed in Hotel California what happens is you get a list of medium rock styles, none of which will be specific to Hotel California but one of those might have an arpeggiated guitar part that could work for that tune if you put in the correct chords.

Biab does not advertise specific songs nor does PG say anywhere that Biab will give you covers of copywritten songs. You get basic style tracks and all the rest of it is up to you.

Bob

Bob, no one is expecting BIAB to provide a style that is a perfect cover! I get what you guys are saying but this makes me realize this "feature" is not nearly as useful as it appears to be at first glance. I bet if you asked 10 musicians what results they would expect from a style search feature that accepted a song name as input most would expect the styles suggested to at least be something close.

But when I type Hotel California and get 304 results (3,254 if I check Include Similar) and none, or very few of them sound even remotely like the song I entered I see this "feature" as either 1) poorly documented or 2) not very functional. I mean, why in the world is it bringing back 3,254 results for Hotel California? I guess you explained this but to my way of thinking there should be more to this filter than simply locating every style in the library that has 2 or 3 common elements of the typed song!