Originally Posted By: PeterGannon
>> But when I type Hotel California and get 304 results (3,254 if I check Include Similar) and none, or very few of them sound even remotely like the song I entered I see this "feature" as either 1) poorly documented or 2) not very functional. I mean, why in the world is it bringing back 3,254 results for Hotel California? I guess you explained this but to my way of thinking there should be more to this filter than simply locating every style in the library that has 2 or 3 common elements of the typed song!

I just tried it on that song, and got great results. Each of the first 10 listed worked great with the chords, and would work well in the song.

So to try to reconcile that with your comment that they don't sound "even remotely like the song" .... I think this is likely the explanation.

When you see the style list, and double click the style to hear a style demo, you are hearing our pre-prepared style demo, that is a completely different chord progression than the song that you are interested in. So the demo's progression might be | CMaj7 | FMaj7 | . You are hearing that, and concluding that "this doesn't sound like the song" ... but that's because the CHORD PROGRESSION is different.

Instead, type the first 8 bars of the chord progression that you want for your song, and don't play the pre-prepared demo, press the PLAY button (after first selecting 4 bar preview. Then you will hear the style that this feature chose, along with the chords that you want. I did that, and they all sound great with your song, and this list was chosen just by typing in the song title.

Here were the first 6 styles listed when I typed that song title (these are from the UltraPAK< and some from Bonus PAKS)

_PMODGR+ <---- Here's how that one sounds for example. https://www.dropbox.com/s/worj8b03rexf5dz/PopBalladDemo-1.m4a?dl=0
_LITEPOP
_SPTRIO3
_SPOPSLW
_SPOPFNK
_PMODGR1

Try any of those with the correct chords of your song. And listen to the demo above. And tell me what you think.I'd be intersted to know why you think that wouldn't remotely work for you with that song.

Incidentally, the + on the name _PMODGR+.sty indicates that this is a mult-style, with 4 substyles instead of 2. The parts are named when you right click on the bar numbers on the chordsheet, and they are

substyle a: verse
substyle b: chorus
aubstyle c: intro
substyle d : Interlude

So I made up a 32 bar demo, using some similar chord progressions, and 4 eight bar sections (intro, verse, chorus, interlude). And for fun, chose "select realtracks - choose best soloist". And that feature recommended an elec. guitar soloist 1167 for this style, so that is added in this demo too.

SO here is that demo: To summarize, I typed in a song title, took BB's top recommendation, and added a soloist that was also BB's top recommendations. And typed in the chords I wanted. It all took about 10 minutes... This is what I got https://www.dropbox.com/s/yttthubdj7lorzi/PopBalladDemo-2.m4a?dl=0 And then pressed the generate song title button, and BiaB gave the song a title called "Unforgiving Love"

Thank you for that detailed response Peter! I entered my chords and you are absolutely right that that makes it sound closer to my desired song. I think in general maybe I have misunderstood this feature. I am not doing covers and had thought this would give me a style very close to the sound of a song I entered. I will spend a little more time with it to see if I can get it to work for my needs. Thanks again!