Yep... the live music scene is depressing. Back in the 70's and 80's is was easy to put a band together, book it properly and make a really nice income that was livable or really added some cash to your pocket.

In the town I was in, there were about a dozen working bands at any given time and someone always trying to put something together. And most importantly, there was work available. Enough clubs of varying levels to keep the beginning bands as well as the established road bands working. And this was the situation in neighboring towns. Every town seemed to have a "big" club that booked the regional acts and the good locals, as well as several other clubs.

As a trio, bass, drums, guitar and two of us sang.... we had no problem pulling in between $600 on the low end to upwards of $1000 for a weekend gig, depending on the club, and often playing Wed & Thur for $250 or more per night. Not bad for 3 guys in the late 70's. And we stayed booked solid and working every weekend and throughout the week.

There was a military base there as well that would book every night of the week but the pay was lower and they paid based on the number of members on stage. Supposedly, we were the highest paid band (per member) in that circuit. We used those gigs as practice to work on new tunes in front of a live audience and our stage act. We never used our lights or large PA. We could set up in 25 minutes and be out in 15.

I no longer hang out with musicians who are still gigging live but I talk with a few buds who are still playing and the situation is dire. Gigs, good paying ones especially are hard to find. And the ones out there in this area are paying the same kind of money or less, than we were making playing 30 years ago.

In that town where there used to be a club with live music on every corner, there are now a handful that use live bands, and the military base has stopped booking bands totally.

From what I understand, most of the gigs that are available are low pay..."for the exposure" kind of things. Don't get me wrong, I played many like that. But you can't make a living doing it and often, you don't even cover gas and expenses for the work and time involved.

The music business has changed. Those who can find niche markets and unique ways to make a buck are the ones who will survive. The internet and digital formats like MP3 have forever altered the way people consume our product. You either find a way to change, adapt, and survive, or you get out of the business... or end up playing free gigs.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/06/16 03:42 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.