LOL! Good one Joe. I haven't played covers in a long time but when I did, we'd play current songs and oldies because that's what our audience liked. So I might not like a song and consider it disposable but I think only time really tells what songs most of the public wants to keep hearing.

My own personal taste is that if I'm going to see a tribute or show band then I expect to see and hear a live rendition as close as possible to the record. Otherwise I don't care if a cover is exact and usually enjoy it unless the new arrangement is so different that the song is unrecognizeable to me or so far from my taste that I just don't relate to it.

When I was a kid I fell in music love with a BJ Thomas' song called Hooked On A Feeling. It played in my head night and day. Then several years later another group had a radio hit with the same song where they added this weird boom a chacka chanting throughout the song. I hated what they'd done to the song I had loved so much. Apparently somebody liked it because that monstrosity was a radio hit. Me, I'd change the station whenever it came on. That version still grates my nerves to this day. So if you should ever cover Hooked On A Feeling please don't add the booma a chacka or warn me ahead of time so I can opt out of hearing it. grin