Originally Posted By: musiclover
Well I think (though I agree its nice to be able to write and maybe perform some of you own songs to an audience) that it would probably be annoying to have to go out for a nights entertainment and have a band push mostly their own little known songs into your face.

There you have to ask the question "What are you going out looking for?" If you are going out to hear your favorite songs from the 80s, you can find that, and don't go to see a band who does their own stuff. If you prefer to hear originals (which I am) then don't go see the oldies band. But for person v1 to go out to a v2 kind of room and then sit and complain or criticize, that's completely wrong on every level. Like a vegetarian going to a steak house and complaining that everybody around him is eating meat and it is his choice to not eat meat. Good copy bands are staffed by very good players. It just isn't what I go out to hear. I am extremely fortunate to have a room 3 miles from my house, a VERY nice room, that on Wed/Thur usually has acts that are of the singer/songwriter variety. In fact on a lot of nights she will have a 6pm act, an 8pm act, and on weekends also a 10pm act. Everybody in northeast Ohio knows and loves Jill Bacon-Madden of Jilly's Music Room as a HUGE supporter of local musicians and artists. She has turned her place into the kind of room that the grapevine of indy bands across the country knows about, and she gets a lot of different stuff in there. She'll get Nashville rockabilly one night and then NY City folkies the next, and maybe gypsy folk the next. There is Wednesday jazz night. Some nights she has movie night where she shows old classic movies, usually of the D-rate variety, and cult movies. Some nights she has a big trivia night. Still other nights she will bring in local artists and have an art night (Dr Sketchy!). The food in that place is amazing, and it's just a top shelf kind of place to go. Music is king though, and she rarely, if ever, has a bad act in there. So the point of all those words was that there is a place for everybody to go for music where they can find their happy place. Plenty of music pizza and everybody can get a slice.

Last edited by eddie1261; 11/09/16 11:26 AM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.