To me it's not lack of familiarity, it's that the songs are bad.

There's a reason the classic songwriters are stars.

On KKJZ here in LA they have the "Indy Hour" on Saturday and Sunday afternoons as part of the blues programming. The music is always kickin, smokin hot stuff. That's because over the last 30 years there are literally hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of players who are in various stages of good. From merely good to awesomely good. They're all just like me or I'm like them, whatever. Good solid players who can't write for [*****].

All the lyrics going over this killer music is way too obvious, cliched, banal and trite. Did I cover all the possibilities?

A real song has lyrics that make you think. Good lyrics is poetry and poetry is not obvious. It catches your ear because you can't understand it right off, you know you like it but can't quite catch it so you listen again and again and even read about it.

That's a real songwriter.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.