I have wondered, but never asked, why when you generate tracks they are not all mono or all stereo. Typically drums are stereo, bass is mono, and then it's seemingly at random.

@David Snyder re: panning. I usually leave drums, bass, vocals and solos in the middle but the rhythm instruments go left and right.

One of my teachers used a baseball field as her example. A baseball team always wants to be strong up the middle. Catcher, pitcher, shortstop, second base and center field. Or to apply the metaphor, drums, bass, vox and solos. The other example she used was visual where she held up 5 things behind a computer tower, to visualize that you could only see the last 4 when she moved them to the left or the right. Just expanding on what you said. Record them in mono and then move them left and right. Depending on how many rhythm instruments I have I will do hard left, 45 degrees left, hard right and 45 degrees right. Makes for some depth.

I have at times split a mono track RB created into 2 tracks so I can have a left and a right and place effects on one and not on the other. It doesn't always stay in, but that's some of the experimenting. One time, I had a 12 string track and I cloned it 3 times so I had 4 tracks of the same thing. I went hard left clean, 45 left chorused, hard right with reverb, and 45 right with a little delay, all at low and varied volumes. I was trying to make it sound like 4 guitars playing the same part with slightly different color. A Phil Spector-ish move. It worked well enough but I didn't keep all those layers in the end.

Last edited by eddie1261; 12/06/16 06:10 PM.

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.