Copyright ....

So, to copyright in the USA, the only correct way to do it is through the US Library of Congress. (USLOC) To save money, copyright a group of songs... (2 or more) at the same time and list it as a collection. If an artist then decides to record the song, the publisher will pay for the copyright fees to copyright the song as a single song. When that happens, you have generally signed the song to a publisher and you no longer own the rights anyway.

As far as writing and copyrighting your own stuff.... the collection is the best bet.

However, all that said..... using the mail it to yourself doesn't work or hold up in court, so don't waste your time. Third party registrations and using the time/date stamp of a server works as good as anything short of a full USLOC copyright. USLOC is not a copyright....it's the registration of the copyright. The copyright is created when you first record the song in a tangible form.

Then, there's what I do. I don't copyright my songs. Yeah I use a third party registration site called SONGUARD but I don't bother with copyrights on the songs. Yes I place the symbol on my stuff....because there's an automatic copyright in place when you record the song for the first time.

I figured out that no one is out there wanting to steal my songs. Nope.... as hard as it is to just get someone to listen.... lets be real. So I don't waste money on copyright. I have some songs copyrighted, but they are signed to a publisher and the publisher did all the paperwork and paid the fees.

Of course, if you sleep better at night with copyrights.... get it done.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.