You might have thought I threw rocks at a hornet's nest. Stay Calm and Write Music. That first part was tongue-in-cheek.

Yeah, I could see how that might come across a bit harsh..... it's all intended to be in good fun and by now you should know me a bit better than to take offense to my posts, especially you old timers around here.

I had to go back and re-read my own post. I didn't recall quoting anyone and therefore, I didn't put words into anyone's mouth. I just found it funny that we embrace musical technology for tracking but dismiss using it for lyrics.

The point I was attempting to make was that you shouldn't dismiss technology as a viable means to writing lyrics. Yep...nothing on the market writes lyrics for you, but there's certainly a lot of useful programs and apps to make the work a bit easier.

In the first paragraph past the tongue-in-cheek part ... notice I said this: If you're writing a song and working on lyrics, use whatever resource you have if you get stuck and need some help getting the idea for a new rhyme I went on to say, use a paper rhyming dictionary, which I happen to have on my studio book shelf, or use an electronic version, some of which are free and on-line. Anything you have or need to get the job done.

I find it easy to use the technology that's available. Open the rhyming dictionary and type in the word I need a rhyme for. Beats looking in the Songwriters Rhyming Dictionary in paperback for vowel sounds that might fit.

And yes, I do use pad and pencil from time to time with just an acoustic guitar, to write a song. Most of the time however, I'm setting at the computer, with BB open, my rhyming dictionary open on my laptop, and my acoustic guitar, (or electric guitar) playing and creating as I go, typing lyric ideas into the lyric document window in BB.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.