There's new stuff coming out all the time and old stuff being discontinued. It's really hard to stay current on what's out there.

I can tell you what I have but each person needs to decide what they want and need based on their unique situation.

I use a Focusrite Saffire. It's not made anymore. But it still works like it's supposed to work.

To someone just getting started, I'd recommend they look at this list, then decide for themselves keeping this in mind. You probably have a budget. BUT.... remember that the interface you buy is going to be the heart of your studio. So if there's one area I don't recommend skimping and going cheap on, it's the interface. Buy a good one and you will never regret it. Save a few more weeks if you need, in order to get a good interface.

The interface should be:

1. USB connected
2. External .... that way it can be moved between several computers
3. Use ASIO drivers .... better for music and DAWs
4. Have phantom power for condenser mics
5. Have built in pre-amps for audio
6. Have the number of inputs needed now and for the future
7. have the number of outputs needed.
8. Have built in DSP FX and a software control panel
9. Have the controls laid out for easy use and access.
10. It should be manufactured by a company that has been in the business for a while, has a good reputation, and provides good support after the sale.

These are good starting points. Many of the Focusrite, Presonus, Roland, M-Audio and other interfaces meet all of those requirements. The best advice is to get educated and ask questions before you lay your money down. Find people who have the interface you are thinking about buying and ask them about it. And always buy from a store that offers a 30 to 45 day 100% money back guarantee with no questions asked.

Interfaces to AVOID like the plague tend to have the following features:

Anything that uses proprietary codex and driver wrappers.
Interfaces that are multi-function devices.
Interfaces built into mics and cords.

In the years I have worked with music and interfaces and helped newbies get started, the better interfaces tend to be the easiest to get started with and the ones that fall into the second "ones to avoid" are the ones that are problematic for many of the folks who bought them for one reason or another.

My 2 cents worth

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.