Melodist should really be more for inspiration than the final product; however, my suggestion is to go through the various melodists and generate a song that has a chord progression you like. Make sure the "allow style change" checkbox is checked, but the "generate chord" checkbox is checked. Forget about the melody for now (especially since you're having the computer generate the melody anyway).

Then once you have a chord progression you like (and you can definitely tweak it after it has been created), then go back to the melodist and uncheck the "allow style change" checkbox, because you now have your backing progression.

Uncheck the "generate chords" checkbox, and now, with the "Generate Melody" checkbox checked, go through the various soloists until you find one you like. It will generate the melody over your underlying chord progression. Don't worry about the instrument used for the melody, because you can change that later.

I think that would give you more flexibility and satisfying results. You'll have to generate chords a bunch of times, as well as later generating the melody a bunch of times.

Obviously, you can skip the first half of the process by just entering your own chord progression, and then allow BIAB to generate a melody over that.

Once you have the melody, you are still probably going to find some notes you don't want. You can edit/delete/move/etc those notes in the piano roll editor.

Don't know if it helped, but as RHarv said, it's still some work. Yes, you can just push a button and get a melody over a chord progression, but it probably won't be what you really want.

That's how I use it...get my chord progression first, then do my melody, then do my soloist (if desired). Actually, oftentimes I'll also use the melodist for my soloist (at least when working with MIDI), as the melodies tend to be less busy than the solos. I just swap the melody with the soloist track, generate a new "solo" melody, and then swap the tracks back and make sure the instrument assignment are correct. If I'm using RealTracks for my soloist, it works the same regardless of which track I'm using.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com