Mirroring some of David's comments;

1. Go to live music in my genre. Often, it is hard for me to remain at small venues or house concerts where someone is performing their original songs. Even when I think they kinda suck, ideas begin coming, and not about their songs, not their hooks, completely different melodies, maybe a kernel of a feel of their song that subliminally stirs something in me. I often write snips and lyrics on my phone, but 90% of the time I can't stand it, I do the Irish exit, come home and write and start it before I sleep and lose it.

2. Play a guitar that I have never played before (yours), or play one of mine I rarely play. Songs hide in them. I have a "Writing Guitar" in a closet I only play for that purpose. I can't really "play" piano, but I can goof around on someone else's. Same deal.

3. Experiment with new chords, or chord progressions and just let things flow. Sometimes, if I find a little progression, a bit of lyrics come. Paul McCartney wrote "Yesterday" that way. The progression came...then "Scrambled eggs...how I like your long and silky legs...", and he filled in the gaps later.

4. Write. Write. Just wright what comes out. Gibberish is fine. Something may all of a sudden connect from free flow thought.

5. Go to the library. Book titles are often well crafted, well thought out, and inspirational without touching the cover. "The Bleeding Hearts of San Francisco," "The Day I Ate Your Shoe."

6. Keep all your song ideas and little phrases, forever. I have a running Word document that I just add stuff to. I read it occasionally. It's 20 pages long by now. "Maybe write a waltz with an acapella chorus or bridge...," "Crusty memories of rusty hinges...," "Why Can't I Pee?"

But, I know that "You (I)...cannot win, if you (I) do not play...." Steve Forbert.

IMHO.

Andy

BIAB 2017 Ultra
Windows 8 and 10
Scarlet 18i8
Reaper and Mixpad