MarioD

Those are mostly just stop gaps

For the "big one" that works (method 3), like me, you still need Win Pro to edit Group Polices (and I have and for more than just updates)

and if you read the info about the upcoming Windows 10 Creators" update it looks like MS will push updates after that update EVEN if you set Metered Connection ON, if they feel the update is "important" - but yes it remains to be seen.

John

I run multiple boots and Win 7 and Win 10 both see a D:\ drive (and there are three other internal drives E:\, H:\, and Z\: - not counting my DVD and Blu-Ray R/W drives). D:\ and E:\ are where 99% of apps get installed (BIAB, Sonar, Cubase, Kontakt and NI stuff, UVI, Fruity Loops 12, GOG games, steam Games, Sampletank and IK stuff, Freelance, Office, Multi-dit, SPSS, SAS, Visio, Visual studio,...)

when Win 7 is booted Win7 is C:\ and Win 10 drive is seen as Y:\
when Win 10 is booted Win 10 is C:\ and Win 7 drive is seen as Y:\

(yep, drive letters reversed)

Each OS sees my "D:\" drive (and other drives) so a lot of stuff only has to be re-installed to same location (with same options) to D:\ (like SPSS, SAS,) and some things like BIAB only need new short cuts and the program can't tell it's a different OS - they all run fine.

as a bonus a lot of things that have "install counters" or "authorization counters" (e.g., Melodyne Studio - 2 installs; Acronis 5 pak, Bitdefender 5 pak, and many others) are assigned to the COMPUTER NAME - NOT the DRIVE letter or OS NAME.

So while I still had to install Acronis, Bitdefender, Melodyne Studio, etc. each twice (once for Win7 and Win 10, and in some cases Win XP) - they only count as ONE (1).

Yes, I've even contacted a few like Acronis, and others, and they have no issues with it, some I DID NOT ASK because I did NOT want to know answer - LOL.

My Win XP drive is seen by BOTH Win7 and Win 10 as drive Z:\. But when Win XP is booted, not often anymore, it is prohibited from "seeing" the two physical drives that hold Win 7 and Win 10 OS's otherwise Win XP deletes the restore points for those OS's - while I don't rely or use restore points, I use Acronis, it's still "dicey" to allow this.

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 03/23/17 10:13 AM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20