Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
I'm glad this discussion has been helpful to you.

This forum is hosted by PG Music, and we haven't discussed specific PG Music products yet, so I'll just throw this out. First, a little background: I use BIAB to make composer's demos. I normally have piano, guitar, trumpet, flute or sax in some combination on the two channels BIAB has allocated for that. I absolutely love the way BIAB enters notation, and even if my end product is a dedicated notation program, I always enter it in BIAB first.

Once the notes for the melody (and often counterpoint) are entered, then BIAB plays them mechanically, as instructed and as expected. However, there are plenty of adjustments that can be made, some very easy and some detailed and complicated. BIAB can move the entire track forward or backward (in several ways), so that, for example, my Latin jazz lead line is anticipated (played early). Easy to do. BIAB can also humanize a MIDI track, under my control somewhat, by adding or deleting notes, varying the timing of the notes and the velocity (loudness), all to emulate a human player. This can go a long way to making it sound real. Finally, I do some spot editing of individual notes. I might shift the timing, change the volume, or especially change the length of the note. Doing just a little of this makes a drab, computer-sounding line come alive.

There's so much more to it, but the point is, with the right tool, amazing things can be done in MIDI to make it sound so much better.

Most helpful, for sure. I came here without the answers, period, just unconfirmed suspicions.

You well point out the next step, that to actually do more tweaking, the humanizing aspects you mention, which I’d only wish to apply to the final, properly notated product, though, could show some promise with your BIAB, which I’m not familiar with. (I take it you are strictly referring to post-processing the score, not inputing humanization from a controller.)

Of course, for now, it’s a problem of time, then there’s the problem of time. Hopefully, I’ll soon have an opportunity to play with these things, which is all I’m worth, in terms of sound engineering expertise, as it stands.

Thank you so much, Matt.