Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Originally Posted By: Dzjang
Variety, different feels, dynamics and being able to use your vst's and kontakt libraries 'd be grand!

To me there's a contradiction here. Here it is:

1. Users want simple.
2. Simple is General Midi.
3. Biab is therefore based on GM.
4. The midi styles are GM.
5. GM does not allow for all the dynamics and expression you're talking about.<...>

Bob

I must respectfully disagree.

The only difference between General MIDI and any other MIDI is the patch numbers that correspond to patch names. There are no other differences between GMIDI and any other MIDI.

Grand piano is always patch #1, Rhodes #5, and so on.

The degree of expressiveness depends on the synth you are using. MIDI uses both velocity, expression, Note On, Note Release and others including the continuous controllers http://www.nortonmusic.com/midi_cc.html for making expression.

The synth you are using can respond to any, a few, or all of these expressive devices. Some GMIDI synths respond to all, some non-GMIDI synths do not.

I repeat, the only difference between GMidi and non-GMIDI is that the voice names correspond to the same patch numbers. Note, I said voice names, not the voices themselves. Acoustic bass is 33, and I have one synth where the acoustic bass sounds like a cheap electric, and another that sound so good that you can hear the wood. Both are GM patch number 33. Some people make good synths, others not so good synths.

The reason for the GMIDI numbering system (and that's all it is) is so that a MIDI sequence played on one synth would play the same instruments on another.

If Patch number 28 on my synth was a clean guitar, and patch number 28 on your synth was a tuba, what I played wouldn't sound even close to right on your synth if I sent you the MIDI file. But if both synths are GM they would both play clean guitar. Now your clean guitar might sound like a Fender and might might be a Gibson because GMIDI doesn't regulate sounds, only patch names.

So dissing a synth because it is GM is nonsense. All you are saying is you don't like the patch numbering system, because that is the only thing GM defines.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks