Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
FJ you are single handedly dragging the showcase into this decade! I feel many times comments about "this sounds current" have me wondering what people think "current" is. This song, IMO, could be deemed "current."

The progression and groove are obviously of someone who has been listening to what's going on wink

A big thing for me too is the structure you are using. Again, it fits right in with what is on the radio.

The lyrics having a good number of syllables and also syncopation where needed.

Caaron - I appreciate that you take note of all of those elements (take make up "the current sound" of Country). We have talked before about the fact that BIAB has what is needed for that sound if you pick and chose the right RTs - not a hard thing to do if you know what you should be looking for. From the general responses of the forum to any discussion of current Country, I can't imagine that many (current) forum participants would ever care to even try... And, as you note, writing this style of song takes more than just a "change of instruments"...the write itself is essential.

Charlie is one of the few that I can think of who might give it a whirl... (you go without saying)

Quote:

The BIGGEST ingredient it has, I feel, is the relatability factor. From lyric content, to structure, groove, arrangement, production...it sounds like something current! It relates to other songs on the charts!

An interesting observation. Generally, I think of today's Country as far less "relatable" than Country of the past - even 5 years ago - but certainly 10 years ago. I do think it is much harder to put "a little meat" into these type songs - as opposed to writing "old Country"...

Quote:

I get this sound isn't for everyone; but not everyone could get this sound either. You did!

It's easy to lump similar things together and say "they are all the same." When it comes to music, it surprises me when people say that. Typically the music they listen to usually suffers from the same aspects they feel others are exclusive to wink This song, to me, is an example from someone that can write whatever you put your mind to.

Anyway, I think the writing you have been doing is important to the forum if we have any hopes of bringing in new people. Great job on a great song my friend!

Now for another listen...

It took me a while to "settle in" to the newer stuff. I think it is getting better now that the Bro Country is dying out. I will continue to listen to new stuff - and mingle it in with the old...