Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Ok, A LOT has been said...because there's A LOT to talk about with your music smile

Noel, I always admire your methods to build your songs. I can SO tell you have listened...I mean REALLY listened to understand. I think that's rare.

The next step with that is application. It's one thing to hear and appreciate what others have done, but to apply that to your own works...again, in my opinion, seems fairly rare.

I really like how your sections build and release with the common elements but also the addition and subtraction of various components to help with interest level.

I guess the short version of what I'm attempting to say is, there are a good number of skills on display with your songs. They indicate someone who has studied and uses what he's learned. It's great to witness!

Thanks so much for all you do on the forum! Songs like this back up your words smile

Caaron,

Thank you for taking the time to listen and to comment so thoughtfully. I've only been writing lyrics for 12 or so years and it was really challenging, and I mean REALLY challenging, for me at the start. I'm a science minded person and, for the life me, creativity with English has alway eluded me for as long as I can remember. I read a heap of books on how to write lyrics. They helped a bit but weren't as enlightening as I hoped they would be. (Creating music and harmony had never been an issue for me... just lyrics!)

Then I spent $200 to go to a seminar with Pat Pattison (2004, I think) and Pat showed me how to approach using language from an analytical perspective. I came away from that seminar with light bulbs flashing in my head.... lots of them. So I worked through the exercises in all of Pat's books.

Then floyd came along to the PG Music forums. His lyrics are text book examples of how to do it properly. I owe him big time because he tolerated my analysing his lyrics and applying the tools that I'd picked up from Pat. All the while, I'd been practising my own writing. Little by little, I started to get the hang of how to make song lyrics 'flow' and to develop effectively.

It's been a great journey!

It's because of the above history that I really appreciate your comments very much. Thank you again!

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024