Originally Posted By: edshaw
I think what you have done is just great -- wouldn't
know what to add or take away.
I have been told that 3:20 is the wall, but I could
listen to that song for 6:00 -- then again, I was
raised on Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

I'm wondering, when you get a great backing track with leads, is it possible to write poems for that same track? I mean, I know it is possible, but in reality, once we finish a song, lyrics and accompaniement, we are conditioned to think to our selves, "Well, that's that, time to move on to another song." This song got me thinking.
The same principle could apply to recyleing, as it were, lyrics.
Is this alll just an esoteric flight of fantasy, or could there be something to it? I know on the songwriting thread, something like this has been touched on.

Hello Ed,

Thank you so much for those fabulous comments! I grew up playing Bob Wills, Hank Thompson, Ray Price, Sons of the Pioneers and all the early country greats - Webb Pierce, Faron Young, Carl SMith, Goldie Hill, Billy Walker, Charlie Walker, Jim Reeves, Kitty Wells, Ernie Ashworth, and so on. I had a pretty good education in Western Swing and Traditional Country. Western Swing is one of my favorite genres. Like to dance to it, too!

To answer your last question - yes it is possible and I have done it a few times. The problem is usually the audience. Once they've heard a lyric a certain way, they're usually disappointed to hear it another way. People are creatures of habit and like to follow their cues. A poem is spoken differently than a lyric is sung. Poetry also tends to flourish with more "glamorous" words. Thus, the folks who heard the original lyric in a song are usually no very receptive to it as poem. And the lovers of poetry are usually left a little flat, not getting the flourish the anticipate. When a person's anticipations are high and the product they receive does not fall within the parameters of the expectation, they, too, are generally left disappointed. I've decided that although I might personally enjoy it, most readers do not. Anticipation is a strong emotion that does not react well to a failure to provide.

Thanks again for the interest and your very kind comments. Wishing you the very best,

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops