Originally Posted By: tommyad
Bud and Janice, This is one of the best tracks ever posted on this forum. I was going to say a musical documentary and then I saw Peter beat me to it. To me the chorus sums up what it must have been like in the Civil War. I can't imagine the feeling of looking over the hilltop down into the enemy camp knowing that the next day will most likely be your last. The production has a warm sounding mix with some terrific editing including my own parts. Janice gives an impassioned reading of the lyric that could only have taken place with an extensive knowledge of the subject matter. The way she pronounces Cap'n is worth the price of admission by itself. A fine underlying harmony by floyd adds some depth. There's no way around saying the write is absolutely brilliant bringing into play the quiet desperation, fierce loyalty and regret felt by a teenage soldier. Thanks for letting me in on this one. It is outstanding in every way. Tom

Tom, given the caliber of your productions such high praise is very humbling. We are glad it painted that image for you. We've often stood on ridges in our area and looked down at where desperate charges took place. I genuinely appreciate your comments on the mix...it was a bit of a struggle at times. I'm glad you felt that I did your fine guitar tracks justice.

Hey, is there any other way to pronounce cap'n? smile

"...quiet desperation, fierce loyalty and regret felt by a teenage soldier" is a much better description than I could offer on what we were trying to achieve.

Thanks so much.

J&B