I am always gratified to turn up BB content that affects intros and walkups, that being an area I have gradually relegated to a kind of rote, as in routine, translated, boring. The walkup is one of those areas easily ignored.
I had the pleasure of working with one of South Carolina's top Southern Rock and Metal lead guitar players, years ago, studio work, me comping keyboards. I recall how he used to stress walkups. Me, learning as much as I could at the time, but never really delving into it, my skill level being as it was and is.
We all know the drill. Amazing Grace in Cmaj for example, picks up a G-note for ("A") and kicks off the first bar of the melody with the root C (" -maz") finishing the first bar (3/4) with tied eighth E and C notes ("-ing") for that familiar two note syllable. What's often looked at is what comes before that pick up G note, which is, of course, a half note C that comes at the end of the chorus, and it sounds like (C half) (G quarter = 'Twas) || (C) grace ....etc...
That is is a little walkup.
My point is that the first words of the verse can be the final notes of the walkup.

Last edited by edshaw; 07/16/17 04:42 AM.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --