Originally Posted By: Hugh2
Hi Bob
Thanks for the post and article,very helpful to know how high a quality you think Biab is for music production.As Ive produced songs with biab the question is always in the back of my mind is it going to be as good as a studio made song.(quality wise).
I got a couple of songs produced in a studio and they came out great but they could have been easily a million miles away from what i intended as you have so little involvement.Not to mention the cost or the lack of enjoyment,urs Hugh

Hi Hugh...

One of the reasons I put my article out on Blogger was to take my BAND-IN-A-BOX pitch to folks outside of these forums who already know what a great songwriting tool and product it is. One of the reasons a BIAB production sounds so good is the quality of the musicians on REAL TRACKS. It would be difficult if not impossible to get any of those folks to play on a studio made song. Guys like Brent Mason (Jim Mason, who's no relation,claims they're "cousins"..haha!) but are pretty booked up, not to mention the cost you'd incur. My studio produced songs were great because I had a pro producer, but at least a couple of them didn't come out the way I'd envisioned. BIAB gives you a level of control you'd lose in a studio environment. But of course you're responsible for EVERYTHING that goes into the mix.

In my opinion it's never been easier or less expensive for an aspiring (or pro) songwriter to experiment with song ideas and come out with something great. Still the level of competency one brings to the table even with BIAB will be the limiting factor at to what finally gets produced. Fun stuff, eh? grin