I'm taking a class in music theory at my local community college and I've learned a lot in just one semester.

BIAB confuses me about what I've learned at school, tho. when using the minor keys why does it still report the roman numeral chord symbols as if you were in the major key?

for example, Dm is the relative minor of F major. If I use Dm as the key for the song and I input Dm as a chord, then click on the "II" to change to roman numeral notation, it lists the Dm chord as a VIm instead of Im. why is that? in school I'm being taught that in the minor key that would be the Im (or "i" instead of "vi").

VIm would actually be the chord symbol if the key were F major. I would think that was the reason for putting the relative minor keys available for the BIAB project - so that the roman numerals would match correctly for the minor keys.

so, secondary question: if that's not the case, then what is the purpose of the minor keys as the key signature in BIAB if not to make the minor key primary in the roman number symbols?