This might be a live and learn moment.

I don't use Real Band as my mix DAW. I use Sonar but I'm guessing it's fairly similar. While it's possible to create a volume change in a section of the track.... use some planning.

Set your resolution to a specific value. Measure, half note, quarter, eighth, etc... that way you can go back and redo it using the same resolution. If you simply select a section with the resolution set to the max, you have a very slim chance of guessing where those edit points in and out are located. In many cases, no matter what type of edit you have done, there will be a click at the edit point. Normally, because there's an abrupt event. Starting in the middle of a note as opposed to zero crossing for example. If it appears to be permanent.... you've tried to fix it and can't..... don't worry...there might be a way to resolve it.

I have used this method a few times to save the work spent on a track. Where the click is heard.... zoom in. really far in. down to where the wave form is a line and you can see the click on the line. it's normally only a few cycles and at a high frequency. Highlight the click section of the line only, and apply a MUTE. that section should mute. Now... playback and listen. The click should be muted, the muted section should be so small and so quick you don't even hear it anymore. I use this a lot to clean up a vocal track with all the background noise and lip smacks and such that are part of a mic'd vocal track.

Another way to do this is to use a volume envelope and pull the volume down in the click and right beck up after the click. You can also use the volume envelope to raise or lower the volume change you wanted to undo. You can use cross fades quite effectively to transition between two edits where you bring one up as the other one is brought down. Done right, it's hard to tell there's an edit point there.

It's typical, at least in Sonar, that you lose your "undo" history upon exit. Therefore.....

Be careful in how you do things that you might want to undo in a few days. Anytime you are about to make an edit or delete something, ask yourself how do you plan on getting it back if you realize you need it. That will save you a ton of grief in the future.

For volume control in a track ALWAYS insert volume control envelopes. They get saved with the project and if you need to remix or adjust the volume in a track, it's simple.... you just edit the envelope.

Hope this is useful info for you. Realize that this is all based on Sonar so you will need to figure out how this works in Real Band.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 11/28/17 04:13 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.