Yes Kent, I think so.

I'm a guitarist and mostly use BIAB live for gigs (jazz standards realtracks, no MIDI devices) but about 6 months ago started doing home studio recording again. Plus I wondered if the audio out from a good USB-audio interface might possibly be better than the audio from my laptop's headphone out. Having read good things about Focusrite 2i2, thought it might be a good upgrade from the C400 which I'd used for home studio recording about 5 years ago.

However, with Focusrite I had problems getting a stable configuration of ASIO driver, bit-rates etc. Problems were especially noticeable when switching back and forth between BIAB and other audio applications. Also, I could hear no difference between audio from USB interfaces and laptop headphone out so going back to headphone out for live gigs and C400 for studio provided the simplest and stable situations.

The only times I have problems now, usually caused by leaving the computer unattended long enough for it to go into sleep mode, I've found that disconnecting the C400 and rebooting so that the laptop audio system becomes default clears things up. I can then connect the USB/C400 and all is well. But, it also could be that simply setting the laptop's sound module as the default as you suggest could clear this up, and perhaps even the problems I had with the Focusrite. I still have it (and having recently retired from my day job thus have more time) I will do some experiments.

Thanks for your help Kent. I'm a longtime fan of BIAB and have demo'd it many times to interested patrons and other musicians at my gigs. Thanks to the whole team there at PG for the products of your excellent work and hope in some small ways I've helped PG music.