Welcome to the forum.

My records show I have an activation code for BIAB 2016, so they used the same system then as now. You get three activations with BIAB, so you could deactivate your existing copy, but I'm not certain if it matters since you are buying 2018. When you run BIAB from the PG Music-supplied external USB drive, it works fine but you do have to do what we call a minimal install. It is one of the (I think) four choices on Setup. It will write just a few files to your hard drive, including the activation status and some needed fonts, and a few other small files. Very little space on your hard drive is required.

If you are concerned about losing an activation, deactivate your 2016 copy first before doing the minimal install of 2018. You could give PG Music Support a quick call and verify what I'm saying. Go to the grey Support tab at the top of this page for their contact info.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors