Originally Posted By: Steevus
First, Happy 2018 to all of you!

Last few days I have been struggling to install the BIAB 2018 update for my current 2016 version. I purchased the dowload version, not the physical disk. Part of the struggle was due to the fact that the complete BIAB 2016 was on my internal SSD, while I now wanted to have 2018 program on my SSD, and Drums and RealTracks files on an external drive.

Thanks to the assistance of several people on this forum I think I managed to do that properly. After a few mistakes I finally downloaded the program to my internal drive and then moved RealTracks and Drums folders to an external drive. The program on my internal drive is now only 15Gb. I am about to activate the 2018 update. In light of this I have a few additional questions:

- I made a backup copy and a full copy of BIAB 2016 before upgrading to 2018. Do I still need these? Or will a backup of 2018 overwrite 2016 anyway (and how to do this?) Band-in-a-Box will automatically makes a back-up prior to any update including new annual releases. I'm not sure how to answer the second part of your question because I always take the last back-up of each year, copy to an external drive I use for storage and rename for that year.
- Would it make sense to download and install all RT and RD files again to be sure I am not missing any of these during upgrade? You should be able to view the files in your account against the files you have on your drive. For instance if your account has 8 files in it then you should have 8 downloaded files.Or does the program have a facility to check for this?The program can automatically check for updates but it can not determine if you're missing a file you overlooked and didn't download.
- BIAB 2018 has video’s etc. now. Should I install these in a separate folder again?I'd leave the video RealTracks in place unless you are 100% sure you don't want them. You can always move or delete later.
- Does the 2018 program have three activation codes again? Yes And if so, how does the 2016 activation relates to the 2018 one(s)? 2016 activation codes are different than 2018 activation codesWill activation 2018 replace 2016? Each annual update gets three activation codes.I have only one left for 2016. The remaining 2016 activation code will not be used unless you decide to roll back to 2016 more than 30 days after the upgrade.

Thank you

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home