Yep... I was also going to say, your husband is wrong about the Beatles. They were some hard working lads before they ever got a record deal. A brilliant produce, amazing songwriting team of Lennon and McCartney, and being in the right place at the right time....

I'm sure there's a lot of corporate acts.... say what you will about how Taylor Swift made it... but there's one thing for sure... she can write a pop song. I'm not her fan, but you have to give credit where it's due. The truth is, most of what is claimed is also not true. The Swift family was well off, but not rich. Her dad didn't buy a publishing company to get her started. In fact, she bought her parents a home AFTER she was making millions from here albums, concerts, and merchandising. He dad apparently now owns a 3% share of Big Machine. This is info garnered from online.

Some realities for musicians: Unless you have good looks, talent, connections and are young, the record companies are not interested in you. So for the older folks .... generally 25 years and older.... you can either gig locally, get a good following of fans, sell you merch and CD's in the clubs and make a decent living.... or you can write for end users.... be they artists, film, TV, commercials, jingles. No one cares how old you are or what you look like if you can write a good commercial melody. It's not easy, because there are so many folks who are doing that now.... but it is a viable option. A number of musicians I know, including myself have had some success in placing music with the people who can and have gotten the music into TV shows and film. No one asked for a Bio with pics.... they simply used my song and sent me the royalties. And that's cool.

All that to say... the music business might be tilted to favor the young and beautiful, but don't give up on it because there's more than one way to get into it and make money from it.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.