Originally Posted By: bluage
Dear "Noel96"...

The title of your song, is what your song is. You sing of a kind of love that makes the lover feel that his feelings for the loved one are one with his experience of the natural world, such as the warmth of the sun, the radiance of which is as palpable as the emotion that pours forth from his (your) heart. Your lyrics are as elemental -- and powerful -- in their simplicity as the blue of the sky you sing about.

By taking your inspiration for your song from the created world, you could be singing as much about God, as you could be singing about another human being who is on the receiving end of what seems to be your personal, and immense capacity to share yourself, your whole being, with another being...and isn't that what "love" is all about -- sharing?

Your music has the effect of making time stand still.

Reveling in the peace you bring,

LOREN

Hi Loren,

I have to hand it to you, you sure know how to make an amateur/hobby songwriter feel magnificent! Thank you so much for that. I really, really appreciate your comments and the fact that you could spare time to have a listen.

Your comment about "...the effect of making time stand still" has caused me to sit here pondering. I wonder if this is a measure of the effectiveness of a composition in AABA form?

Many years ago, I read Shiela Davis' lyric and song writing books. In these, she spoke about how AABA format is best used to capture a single moment in time. After reading that, I started looking at many of the famous AABA format songs (e.g. "Over the Rainbow", "When You Wish Upon A Star", "Yesterday", etc.) and discovered that the large majority of them were set either in a single moment of time or to a time period that's very close to a single moment. Usually this 'moment of time' came across as the singer reflecting on a situation or set of circumstances.

Since I discovered the above, I've adopted Davis' principle and I always try to anchor my AABA songs (like "So Beautiful") in one moment of time. It seems to work.

So to make a long story short, I think it's the format that creates the effect of time standing still and not my writing.

Once again, thank you so very much for such gracious comments. I am sincerely grateful.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024