Yeah, it did make a lot of money. I wonder if that's a standard of excellence? Is it a good song as long as it makes a lot of money? If that's the case then I guess all of our music on this site sucks! I don't think many of us are making a lot of money. What about decades later or generations later when it's no longer making a lot of money? I'm not making a judgment call, just throwing out questions for consideration. My hat's off to these guys for making a lot of money and to the people who liked the song enough to purchase it. Also, what about the marketing to the public, maybe it played a part?

What about great songs that don't make a lot of money? Today, the competition is sooo fierce and limited and the industry is sooo exclusive that maybe really great songs and lyrics never make it to the public.

But to me personally the bottom line is to try to write understanding lyrics, not that I'm always successful but we should try to excel.

Thanks to all who weigh in and contribute. I think it helps to understand the topic and certainly increases my learning in how others look at things and interpret it.

Last edited by Belladonna; 02/16/18 12:59 PM.