Thanks Charlie for looking this song up in Wikipedia. I would have never came to this conclusion of the song from the words itself. Who's the miller they are talking about, telling his tale? What is the tale? You lose the listener when they are scratching their heads. Anyway, I find the words a little vague that could have added so much to the song. Maybe many people don't care if they like the song, but as a lyricist I find the communication of the words important.

Back in the day, many UK/Brit bands were formed by youngsters disaffected by their upbringing in the decades after ww2. Despite their rebellion, they could only use that which they were given, primarily their education.

whiter shade of pale refers to the miller and his tale. This would be Geoffrey Chaucer and the Canterbury Tales. a set of stories set in medieval times, of which one is told by the Miller. Studying the book was a common part of the school curriculum and often tested in exams.

The vestal virgins were often referred to in classical Latin and Greek lessons taught at schools in those decades. They were a few women who had influence in many ways on Roman society, religion and politics.

So its only a reference to the writers education in those lines of the song. The rest of the lyrics seems capably found and worked into the song.

Most agree that the influence of Bach in the music is obvious. Again I would say the result of piano lessons in the graded system of music education, the associated board.

Last edited by duncanwhyte; 02/16/18 02:01 PM.

Using: Dell 3268 i3, 8 GB ram, windows 10. Biab version 2017 standard package, no extras.