First, this is just me rambling but there are lots of alternatives to SONAR and RB - and folks will have their favorites so you will end up with a laundry list in the end. YOU need to TRY as many as you can for free and see what you like and almost all have a FREE trial versions.

Second, SONAR STILL WORKS. IT WILL CONTINUE TO WORK until Microsoft pushes a WIN 10 add, modify, or delete update (e.g, some audio/communication or other API a DLL, etc.) that makes a portion or Sonar "inop." THIS is coming from a ex-SPLAT lifetime user (me, and actually a Cakewalk DAW users since version 2 for DOS) who walked away from SONAR a full YEAR before they folded up their tent for personal (and some minor technical) reasons.

Finally, you have LOTS of time to test drive other DAWS and see for yourself:

1. Starting with a simpler SONAR – Sonar Home Studio, Sonar Home Studio, the successor to Music Creator, is FREE. You do need to create and account if you don't have one. This offer still works I just tried it using a junk email account or use your EXISTING Cakewalk account)

http://www.cakewalk.com/Redeem?kl=16&promo=CM250

use redemption code 3327-46FD-8F9A-BBC7

2. Like MarioD lots of users have moved on to Studio One Pro as a cross grade (especially when price was $149 which is when I bought it this last winter) if you look hard you might still find a deal for under $200) .

EDIT

FLASH UPDATE sale:

you can get a crossgrade to Studio One Pro for $169 at JRR shop. it says $199 but when you add to cart they discount it down to $169

https://www.jrrshop.com/presonus-studio-one-professional-crossgrade-v3

EDIT OVER

3. You can STILL GET the Samplitude Pro X3 suite (Samplitude Pro, plus, Soundforge plus Spectralayers deal for $149)

https://www.magix.com/index.php?id=24739&L=52&phash=9wsnAiYJ77GWu8YE&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_content=spsut&utm_campaign=US_48_spsut

4. Then there is FL studio Producer $199 it's a LIFETIME thing too - you buy once and get ALL updates forever. They have a trial version

5. Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio - they have a 14 day trial and the pro version has a nice collection VSTi’s

6. Reaper for $60 and you can try it for free for month or two I forget before you are morally bound to buy it not abuse the Free use of it.

7. Then there is FREE Tracktion 6, completely free and is a NO BS FULL FLEDGED DAW. Or try there more current Traction Waveform 9 - it has a 30 day trial.

8. Mixcraft Pro 8 - it has a 14 day trial.

IMHO Mixcraft is probably the easiest and most intuitive to get going with MIDI and even simple audio. FL Studio Piano roll is great, etc. Studio one Pro and Tracktion take some getting use to. Samplitude is a whole other animal as is FL studio - neither is intuitive but they are power packed and lots of features once you know "how to." A lot of folks love Reaper but I find its MIDI the LEAST intuitive to use but I haven't played with it in last two years even though I own it so it may be great now.

I have ALL they above in addition to SPLAT, which I do not use anymore. BUT I still haven’t pick a final one stop shop final DAW (this after MORE than a year). I’m actually starting to become a two DAW user – why limit yourself to ONE DAW that does GREAT AUDIO and MIXING but so MIDI and interconnections or one that has all the flex of full computer interfacing and interconnections and great MIDI but – AUDIO while it works is PITA to use and mix with.

I do not find jumping between two DAW’s any more “taxing” or causing psychotic work flow “interruptius” than when you have to do workarounds in any single DAW for that DAW's shortfalls or quirks (I even had to do that towards the last few versions of SONAR).

IMHO Cakewalk’s MIDI had become a PITA. The last user friendly and good Cakewalk MIDI DAW was Cakewalk Pro Audio version 9! After that they left MIDI in the dust and focused on AUDIO only - for ALL versions of SONAR. I AM HEAVY MIDI user (MIDI geek) it's most of my work. I don't get into a pretentious producer mindset of pretending that I run "a pro studio" and a premier "mastering house."

Then there are OTHER DAWS Pro Tools (Eddie loves it), Cubase I have a love-hate with Steinberg and Cubase, ..

https://www.musicianonamission.com/best-daw-2016/

Good luck

Larry

Last edited by Larry Kehl; 02/19/18 06:39 PM.

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20