As far as RealBand being a contender for a DAW I think it is not really trying to be. The way I see it RealBand has its uses and does stuff that many DAWs do not but then most DAWs make many tasks simpler than RealBand. As far as Sonar goes I agree it should be sometime before issues will stop it working. I decided to download Reaper to have a look and after a week or so parted with the US$60 (A$87 including GST). I feel that Reaper should be able to do much of what I want and have in a week set up things that will allow me to work in pretty much a fashion that I am familiar with. There will be some cussing but that is a part of the fun. A lot of the more expensive plugins and VSTs I am used to in Sonar work in Reaper and using ReaCWP I can even open a number of my Cakewalk projects (some with errors depending on plugins used). Over the years I spent a small fortune on Sonar updating every year, buying extra plugins etc. I don't see myself doing that in the future.

My rant Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1