Quote:
I think I need to learn to recognise patterns over a full bar, rather that look at each note/duration separately.

Everyone learns differently, but what you are talking about is the difference between understanding the alphabet versus being able to read words. And then learning to recognize note patterns in chords quickly (and especially when there are very small differences) are akin to understanding the difference between the words there, they're, and their.

Also understanding convention such as the key signature carries through the entire song, unless otherwise modified by accidentals (sharps, flats, naturals), and that all accidentals go away at the next measure (unless tied across from the previous measure), and that an accidental carries forward throughout the current measure so you don't have write it on every note in the measure, or knowing that some sheet music applies an accidental to the applied note and any octave of that note, but some sheet music requires an explicit accidental on each octave of the note.

Like learning the English language, there are the rules and then there are all the exceptions to the rules.

But practice, but also analyzing and cogitating what is happening on the score in front of you, will get you there. And then when you are not sure, just ask for help. As you already know, the folks here are very happy to oblige.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com