Pitching a song is an interesting subject to me. It's typically talked about in a vague way. Pitching to who?

If you are pitching to or for a specific artist, your song better sound like that artist. A great song that's wrong for an artist, just isn't going to happen.

If you are pitching to more of a group of possibilities, you would still want it to sound like what they are going TO BE, not so much where they've been already. THAT can be a fine line.

Of course, you can pitch to projects, or reps. Just many different opportunities. My point is, it's good to know what opportunity you are going for.

I've heard it said, many times, that they can "hear" how good of a song it is without you putting much into it. No need to hire a singer, or have the music produced. If you hear that from someone, I would question how old that advice is. Of course, there are exceptions, and everyone has a story of those situations, HOWEVER, right now, most companies are trying to do as little as possible. Sometimes, taking out the demo singers vocals and replacing ONLY that vocal with the artists vocal. All music, instruments and backing vox, are used AS IS.

As far as a demo singer, it is NOT necessary. I will give you perspective from a conversation I overhead in the studio.

"Listen to this. They guy didn't even get a decent singer. I mean, come on! You can't spend a little money to make your product stand out and sound great, but that's what you're asking me to do? PASS! If you don't believe in it; why the hell should I?"

He picked the next song from the PILE he had to listen to.

I know not everyone is that way; but some are. I've never heard someone say "They really should have gone with a worse singer. This one is sounds good, unfortunately."

My point is this. Make it sound the best it can WITHIN your budget...whatever that is. Do NOT let that hold you back though. Just don't be lazy. Don't cut corners. They can tell. Have confidence and competence in what you do. What you lack; work hard at and develop. It takes time; but it's worth it.

There has been some GREAT advice given in this thread. More is given if asked. So keep asking questions. I know for a FACT there are some people that know their...I'll say, "stuff" on this forum. Reach out to them IF you are serious. Be open to learning.

It's rare that you are able to (and I hope they don't mind me saying this) listen to a song by someone like Floyd or Tom or many others...and study them. THEN IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS CAN ASK THEM! What?!?! Honestly, that's crazy cool!

I'll stop rambling now; but I could go on for a while. smile

Another great topic by the OP. Thanks for opening the discussion.

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.