David-

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me all this information. I just met you but, in my life. I have found that people like you who are generous with their time and talents will have great blessings & positive outcomes in their endeavors. Best of luck with your submissions.

If you want to hear some of my previous home studio recordings, go to this link

http://www.theskynotes.com/new.htm

(This is a website for a band I play in once a month.)

(I am addressing your comments below in parenthesis)

1. Less is more. (I agree with this philosophy).

2. Mics & DAW (I have some great mics and will get a decent DAW.)

3. Get a microphone stand shield for your mic. (Have one of these as well).

4. Get a good audio interface like the Focusrite. (I will check this out)

5. Avoid mixers. Go straight into the audio interface. (Kind of figured this)

6. Your condensor mic will require "phantom power." (Got it - been there done that)

7. If possible, record all your parts dry (no effects) and then add effects to them later. (Always have recorded this way)

8. If you are using a Real Track electric that already has an effect (Not a DI or Direct Input choice) leave it alone.
(I try to use minimal effects)

9. Keep it really simple and let Band in a Box do its thing insofar as the mixes that come with Xtra styles, which I highly recommend if you are going into production work. Get all 4 packs and buy all of them that come out. Trust me on this one. (I will check this out)

10. Use audiophile version if you can. (OK will do)

11. You HAVE to invest in some EQ tools, there is no way around it. (Got it - I have 100's VST's from my days of using Yamaha DSP FACTORY with Minnetonka MTRAX software They might be outdated but I have them somewhere)

12. Whatever you do, keep it very very simple and only add the effects you have to to give the vocals some richness, add sparkle and thump to the drums, or tame the bass. (AGREE)

13. Export.

14. Go into Audacity and look at that file. I almost always do three things.

A. I do a 1.5:1 compression on the file to bring it into line. (I usually do 1:2:1)

B. Then I do ONE pass at compress based upon peaks. "Check" the box. (I will try this)

C. Then I normalize to -0.9. That gives me some head room. (I will try this)

Finally, I go into Ozone and use the simple of very gentle polishing. (I will try this)

Making a production ready song BIAB is very possible, but it takes a village to raise a song. Dive in and start learning and ask as many questions as you can of the pros and they will help you.

(Thanks again for your encouragement and advice. I did submissions for NSAI reviews 4-5 years ago, entered song contests etc. Have some friends who have gotten songs on TV through TAXI and also and a friend with a connection to NEW LINE CINEMA.

Right now, I am looking to make some great recordings of my originals and to be inspired to write new ones with BIAB. I do have 8-10 instrumentals to do with BIAB and may consider sending them off them to
some song submission sites.

Have a great weekend - FINGERS