Indeed, the consensus seems to be "don't buy/waste your money, on a USB mic" and I agree 100%.

Instead, spend the money to get a decent USB interface with audio preamps and phantom power built in. The inexpensive ones are 2 channels..... aka: stereo. You will spend up to $150 or so.... I prefer the Focusrite interfaces and the Scarlet seems to be the popular one now and it's in that price range.

Next.... buy a good condenser mic. Lots of options and a wide price range. Figure up to $400 for the mic.

Reasons why you want to spend $550 or so on these 2 things. The interface is your studio's heart. Everything goes through it..... audio and midi in both directions. A good interface running ASIO drivers will give you very low latency.
The mic is your studio's ears. Better mics hear better. I have heard some good quality from mics under $100 so look around and go to the store to try them out.

Pick up a decent pair of self powered studio reference monitors for listening. That adds another $150 to $300 but again..... worth the cost. You can use a set of decent headphones for a while if needed.

I generally tell people to figure on spending $1000 on these items..... if there's anything left, buy dinner and some guitar strings.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.