Oooh - story time!

The first show I attended, I was 17 years old. There's a small local music festival here and at the time, one of my favourite rappers, Aesop Rock, was playing it. I was incredibly stoked, having never been to a real concert or anything before. The show itself was above average but not mind blowing in performance, but that isn't why I hold the experience so dear to me.

He was playing at an old church which was re-purposed to be a live music venue. Being 17, I was fresh out of high school and had absolutely no extra spending money. Just seeing this guy performance was a huge deal for me, and I used up all my savings just to see him. Anyway, I have to go to the bathroom so I walk off to find it.

Having never been in this venue, I got a little lost. I go down a hallway, take a few turns and I find a merchandise booth. And lo behold, right next to it is Aesop Rock, one of my favourite music artists just standing there. I'd never had any interaction with a celebrity before, and just froze. I must have looked like a deer in headlights. He glances my direction and saw me and just said something like "How's it going man?" I recall fumbling over my words and not saying anything really coherent. The people running the merch booth kept trying to get me to buy stuff, but I had no money to get anything. I recall attempting to form a sentence to him but just fumbling because I was nervous. I vividly remember him telling me "Don't worry, I'm only human like you" and it brought me ease. Then, I took a breath and I recall at that moment being fine.

I only talked to him for about 5 minutes or so. We talked about music we liked, how he liked living in San Francisco, that this was my first show, and how beautiful Canada was and how he loved visiting. I remember him telling me his favourite part of any North American tour was driving through the rockies at the B.C./Alberta border. Anyway, he says he's got to head off but hopes I'll enjoy the show. Then, what truly got me was as he walked off he stopped at the merch table. He turned to the people working the merch table, and tells them "Let's get this guy a poster, it's on me." Then, one of my favourite artists gave me a free poster and signed it for me. Then, I got a picture with him and he shook my hand and said I hope you enjoy the show. 15 minutes later I saw this very same man on a stage absolutely killing it.

It was one of the most humbling moments of my life. And realizing one of my favourite musicians was a normal guy like me and such a nice guy as well really made me realize we are all equal. I have the poster up in my room still, and will hold onto it my entire life. Every time I see the picture of us, I remember that night and can't help but smile a mile wide.

One of the redeeming topics of our talk together was him living in San Francisco. I remember telling him I'd love to check it out one day, and he told me that if I do to ever visit San Francisco to do so in the spring time because its the most beautiful time of year there, and less touristy. 8 years after him telling me this, I'm finally flying down there in 2 weeks with my girlfriend for our 3 year anniversary smile

So thank you Aesop Rock for making my first concert so memorable, and for being such a nice person to a loving fan. I've since seen a lot better shows performance wise - but nothing will ever touch my heart like that moment.

Cheers,
Deryk