Very interesting @Dave ... the songs do share the same general theme, too. We all go through stuff in life ... maybe not the same things, but it's a struggle, and the fight to live to see its worth is real ... and may actually even be what life is all about.

This particular song just started out with that line "I'm Alive, I'm Alive and .... blah blah blah blah" didn't even really have lyrics there after the "I'm Alive" part. I woke up from a dream where I heard that bit, with melody and harmony and the whole bit. But that's all I had. Messed around with chords related to what I'd heard in the dream. Changed them up a bit for the verses. Still no words.

Started thinking about my life, and I got the line "Life hasn't always been such a comfortable road" and everything just flowed from that, actually pretty quickly. The basic song was born. Only there were a lot of changes and edits to make it work, especially when I finally got a mic out and tried to sing it.

I've thought about sitting down and writing an article about how this song came about and the process I went through because it is interesting (to me, anyway) and probably reflects how songwriting goes for most people.

Matter of fact, I think I'll do that.

What I find particularly satisfying about this song, though, is that the chorus sounds exactly the way it sounded in my dream.

Last edited by Phil Leith; 05/09/18 07:55 AM.