Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
In the Sound On Sound article Sundance posted, they mention using Cranesong's Phoenix tape saturator. I think this is an effect that a lot of people overlook when recording digitally, and why it's easy to end up with overly clean recordings that sound like they're coming out of a computer. A big difference between what we do and how classic albums were recorded is that they used tape, and that's pretty easy to emulate digitally these days.

I'll throw a bit of saturation on pretty much everything, especially vocals, to get a bit of color on the tracks and make them more harmonically interesting. Soundtoys' Decapitator is my favourite and has been a go-to for the last couple years, and I usually have an instance of Waves' MPX Master Tape in the signal chain when mixing and/or mastering as well.

I also invested in a really nice reverb unit a couple years back (Eventide Space), and I'm pretty blown away with how much difference a really good reverb makes, when compared to cheaper plugins or the reverb built into my mixer.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

Hi, Kent... would LOVE to hear what your vocals sound like! Any place we can go to do that???