Originally Posted By: Icelander
Thanks for the constructive observations, Mr. Ray, Let me just give my take on these:
Absolutely not, for that would completely overpower the intended 'tranquil' sentiment! Besides, I'm a huge believer in the 'less is more' principle, which I certainly feel is warranted here.
Also, in a live setting, these two instruments, trombone and vibes, wouldn't both be at the centre, that's just practically implausible, and I tried to reflect that... but maybe I overdid it, it's a mileage-may-vary case for sure.
I suspect speakers & ears on each end are a vital factor here, but fair enuff. I was aiming to contrast the booming low end of the bass (and guitar to some extent) and may have overdone it. Also, I used some EZ Mix, a set of plugs/effects that I only recently bought and am still finding my ways with, on this project to give the lead a slight 'ethereal' sound, which maybe worked and maybe not so much. So I'll give you this one.... maybe wink
Thanks for taking the time to give advices & feedback cool

I'm just making suggestions based on what I heard.
That is the point of sharing isn't it?
Each listener will filter a song according to their own notions and either ignore their thoughts and congratulate you or congratulate you and make suggestions according to those filters & notions.
The downside of this Showcase forum is that it is, essentially, for "finished" songs. there's no intermediate forum for tracks "in progress". I'm keen for suggestions for my work.
One universal suggestion though:
As is often recommended - listen to your mix in mono - if the levels and tones are spot on then it's time to pan instruments into a stereo field.
I'd add:
In your case, given your desire to replicate the live situation & era, why not mix to mono like an old 78? Plenty of plugs out there to add crackle & pop too.

Last edited by rayc; 05/11/18 02:13 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe