Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Originally Posted By: Dallon426
Considering that everybody plays these melodies from a book, I see no difference in using it in a software. In fact most jazz musicians are making money by playing melodies that do not belong to them. So which is worse, practicing to a software that has the melody within it, or playing a gig and making money with other peoples songs/melodies? I personally think melodies should be an integral part of BIAB. Most people originally purchased band in a box in order to practice over chord changes that were based on songs.

When musicians play in public, the venue (site that hires the musicians) is responsible for paying copyright royalties.

Yes but we know this is not always the case. Think of how many restaurant gigs people have played and house gigs etc. Do you really think all those folks are paying royalties? So when people get really preachy about copyright issues (especially with 50+ year old melodies) I tend to scoff. Also, I know for a fact that restaurants can fly under the radar for a long time without being approached and forced into having a music license and then paying royalties.