Originally Posted By: Dallon426
Considering that everybody plays these melodies from a book, I see no difference in using it in a software. In fact most jazz musicians are making money by playing melodies that do not belong to them. So which is worse, practicing to a software that has the melody within it, or playing a gig and making money with other peoples songs/melodies? I personally think melodies should be an integral part of BIAB. Most people originally purchased band in a box in order to practice over chord changes that were based on songs.

The difference is copyright law. The last time I inquired, the copyright holders wanted up to $2.00 per song with a minimum payment for thousands of songs in advance. Many declined to grant permission at any price. They own the copyright, and the law gives them the right to make or deny any deals.

I disagree with a few laws, but that doesn't give me the legal right to disobey them, and if I get caught breaking the law, my disagreement won't save me.

You can argue what you think is right forever, but it won't change things.

You could run for office and change the laws, but the odds of that are low even if you manage to get elected. Money talks, and the publishers have a lot of money.

So enter the chords, or buy a fake disk, open the book, and practice away. When you get to the club, they are probably paying ASCAP dues, if not, you are responsible to pay the songwriters and publishers yourself (although this rarely happens and rarely enforced).

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks