Originally Posted By: Le Miz
Originally Posted By: Ember - PG Music

It was a very moving cover. I was a little taken aback by how emotional of a response I had towards it. I shouldn't have been surprised; music is powerful.

The Cranberries are probably my favorite group of the 1990's. "Dreams" is one of my all-time favorite records.

I was really shocked and saddened to learn of Dolores O'Riordan's passing. She was an amazing vocalist, and brought me so much joy.

The cover I mention here is quite obscure; I hope by posting here others will come to enjoy it.

The "Hill Country Theme" was written for a TV program about President Lyndon B. Johnson, who lived on a ranch in Johnson City, a little more than 30 miles from Austin, Texas.

Texas is, generally speaking, a very flat state. The only real mountains are way out in west Texas. The area around Austin, particularly to the west, is known as the "Hill Country"; there are mini-mountains and even smaller rolling hills.

Austin is in central Texas, probably why it was chosen as the state capital (huge state).

The song (Willie Nelson recorded it) was OK, but it has (IMO) a great tune. In the hands (and mind) of Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops, the "Hill Country Theme" is a work of art.

I finally got the "The Pops Goes West" album on CD in the last 5 years; I was euphoric, as I had hunted for the record album for years. It is my only Boston Pops album.

I think Buddy Hodges' youtube video is a work of art.

He has some beautiful, even stunning photographs of Texas scenes. Only a few are from the Austin area, including the Capital (modeled after the Tennessee capital) and the bluebonnets that flourish every spring.

There's a great shot of a longhorn; a longhorn is the mascot of the University of Texas at Austin. That's fitting, because cattle ranching was initially the pillar of the Texas economy, enabling people to live here. In the same vein there's a great shot of 2 horses.

The San Jacinto monument is shown. Near Houston, it was built on the site where Sam Houston, after the Alamo massacre, defeated Santa Anna's massive Mexican army, allowing Texas to become a country, the Republic of Texas.

The ship is the USS Texas.

Ember, you spoke of the "power of music". I couldn't agree more.

I love this instrumental; it gets to me because this is where my wife and I chose to live after we graduated from UT Austin. But when I watch Buddy Hodges' youtube video while listening, I marvel, I get sentimental, I get choked up.

I recommend headphones. Also, I recommend full-screen viewing on your computer; some of the photographs are exquisite.

If you listen closely, you can hear the "hill country" awaken early in the morning, and after the bustle of the day, retire at night.

Arthur Fiedler's arrangement is the stuff of genius.

"Hill Country Theme" Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTnNUEp8Kek

Beautiful rendition. I can't believe the slideshow didn't include at least 1 picture of a oil well pumper, tumbleweed, prairie dog, tornado or incoming dust storm. smile

What can I say, I was stationed near Lubbock, Texas and everything I listed was as common as dirt!

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home