Originally Posted By: Sundance
To me, the showcase is NOT like an "Elvis has left the building" concert. It's like a venue where people are still able to connect with you. When I performed live people were always coming up to me saying nice things. I never ignored a person just because I had already said thank you to the whole crowd and left the stage. No, I stopped, listened, smiled and thanked them on the spot where ever they walked up to me. I always thought every person who went out of their way to personally compliment my music deserved to know I appreciated them right there and then...

Well put Josie!

Originally Posted By: martin57
Probably the showcase is FINE for what it intends to do, showcase the songs to a close knit community, lets face it, the music business is very competitive and even if you have a good song, it is unlikely to get many plays on Youtube, if you showcased it there.

SO better to put it in the showcase where you WILL get people to praise it and say well done and clap you on the back. Some praise is better than NO praise, and no harm in that.

At the same time as I do have a good listen to showcase songs, it would be nice for someone to have the courage to say, Please try you songs a different way, there is one user in particular whose vocal setup in each song is always the same, and because of that all the songs mainly sound the same.

But people just praise praise praise, rather than subtly saying maybe try this way for a change.

But then the showcase has nice people in it and it seems they don't wish to offend.

And that is good in a way.

I think we all tend, at times, to forget PG Music's statement at the top of the forum which states in part:

"Indicate which tracks were recorded by you, and which tracks were generated by Band-in-a-Box or RealBand.

If Band-in-a-Box or RealBand have been used, please provide information as to which styles or RealTracks were used. (tip: In Band-in-a-Box, the Song Memo contains the names of the RealTracks used, and you can copy/paste from that.)

List other programs used in the production (Sonar, Cubase etc.)

Describe what effects were used in the production (reverb, auto-tune etc)."

As far as showcasing to a "close knit community" it can be much broader. When PG Music lists a showcase song as a "hot topic" on their splash page or when they add it to their featured SC playlist or when they mention it on facebook the number of listens goes considerably up and comments are made at soundcloud from a rather interesting and diverse group of folks.

There are plenty of places to showcase your songs but only one that is specifically for showing how you used PG Music's products. Regarding the "praise, praise, praise" if a poster asks for feedback regarding their vocal or the mix, etc., he or she will typically receive a lot. If they don't ask (for whatever reason) then responders rarely, and appropriately so IMO, delve into such. We love to hear a posted song that shines in all aspects but we also enjoy studying the RT's/RD's/Midi/MST's/FX, etc., that were used. There are many ways to approach it. FWIW, giant grains of sodium chloride, etc.

Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
I agree with Josie. I don't assume that comment replies are gratuitous replies just to bump.

On the first page of the User Showcase, the song with the most views - 538 has 31 comments including replies since the posting on 4/30/18. To date, there were 15 comments, each with a reply from the artist. One comment was made earlier today with no reply yet posted. 15 comments in 19 days is not a very high percentage of viewers who take time to comment and I think it to be gracious to acknowledge a comment rather than gratuitous.

The song on the first page with the most comments only has a total of 46 comments and replies over a 10 day period. That's roughly two comments and replies per day.

You wouldn't think such a minor occurrence would elicit three pages of discussion over a 25 day period so it must strike a chord for both pro and con.

Indeed. It's just a repeated one line on an entire word filled website page!

Bud