Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
Hi Jim,

To be perfectly honest, I haven't seen updates mess up Windows on any of my machines, and I do install them when they come out.

I'd take most of what the guy in the video says with a grain of salt. He calls Microsoft Edge a "search engine", and accuses Microsoft of installing spyware on machines, which I have my doubts about. smile

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

I'm sure you are correct about the updates as well as the nonsense the "guy in the video" was saying. So many people talk about using to Linux, but it is usually just talk. Like others, I was reluctant at first, but I finally made the move to using Linux for "what it was good at" and using Windows for "what it was good at" around 2007, and I haven't regretted my choice. My Windows machines work great without being connected to the Internet, without downloading and installing Windows updates, and without having any anti-virus or other security protections to slow the PCs down. I built my XP machine in 2007, installed the basic necessary softwares I needed & used a lot, made an image of my base setup, and it has been running every day since then doing Excel programming, music production, recordings, videos, etc, all without being on the Internet and without the hassles of downloading & installing updates. The only thing I need to do is back my data files. My Win 10 machine has been running regularly since 2016 without Internet, updates, anti-virus, etc, and you confirmed what I already suspected about Win 10 functioning without an Internet connection... again, I thank you!

I bought my Internet PC (Lenovo) in 2012 to replace the old Pentium I used for the Internet back then. When I bought the Lenovo, I stored its Win7 HD, replaced it with a new HD, and installed Linux. With Linux the OS and program files are free and they are pretty good, many are excellent. Some things I use to do in Windows I now prefer doing in Linux. In addition, with Linux I can go anywhere on the Internet fearlessly and download anything for Windows that looks interesting. If I decide to use a software for Windows, I can have an on-line virus scanner check the file before transferring it over to one or more of my Windows machines. I've got the best of both worlds,

The bottom line is this... don't bash Windows, its a great OS and it has a lot of wonderful programs (like Biab) which run on it. If you don't want the hassles of updates and security software, make your life easier and disconnect it from the Internet... use it for "what its good at". If you've got an old machine around gathering dust, download a Linux distro, install it, and give it a try... you might like it!

Jim
†=☮&♥