Originally Posted By: cliftond
Ok, I do not spend money on the new stuff period, and will not, and i already own the white album several times over. That is not what I am talking about, yes I do buy songs as downloads from artists that I like, I am saying that the mainstream could be gunned towards the ADULT audience with good effect if songs were pushed that we like. But we have our songs that we try to promote ourselves and it is difficult to do. If you make a living selling your downloads good you are the exception. I am saying that we could do better given a better shot by the outlets. Look on the adds for new music, no way they are trying to sell anything to most of us, but, it could be done.

I hear ya but I remain unconvinced that there is a large market for the older styles of music. As you said, I also already have the white album (on vinyl, 8-track, cassette, and CD!) And it is still great music so I still listen to it from time to time.

Add to that my Pink Floyd collection, my Jethro Tull records, Black Sabbath, Yes, Moody Blues, Led Zeppelin, ZZTop and on and on and on...and I quickly realize I have way more than enough excellent music to last me the rest of my life! I still buy a new album from time to time but not nearly like I used to.

Couple that with the fact that we have a million options vying for our free time that we didn't have when we were kids. Hundreds of TV channels instead of the 2 or 3 we used to have. Thousands of radio programs playing every kind of music you can imagine whereas we had just a handful of local stations when I was young. We have computers we can use to make our own music or play awesome games. And then there is The Internet with its almost unlimited access to free music and information and news and art and books and so on!

So, with all those options that we never used to have it is not at all surprising to me that selling records is almost impossible for all but a few top artists.

Some folks might see my assessment as cynical or negative but I see it as simple realism. And, I still occasionally buy a lottery ticket for fun because "what if"! smile But I wouldn't bet my house or my income on it. And that is kinda how I see the odds of getting a hit record these days...like hitting the lottery.